Circle Z Ranch, Inc.
Job Title: Head Cook
Reports To: Ranch Managers
- Control Budget per meal.
- Manage Kitchen.
- Ability to prepare meals for large groups (30 and over).
- Ability to efficiently adjust to last minute changes.
- Comply with Santa Cruz County Health Department requirements.
- Establish a two-week rotation menu with Head Cook and Ranch Managers.
- Review food costs with Head Cook and Ranch Managers.
- May be asked to obtain all necessary provisions and supplies.
- Ensure proper presentation of meals.
- Serve meals to guests and answer food inquiries during mealtimes. This is a shared responsibility with other Cooks/Bakers.
- Coordinate with managers on wait staff/dishwashing matters such as sending cutting boards and bleach buckets through dish washer and washing your own pots, pans and dishes.
- Cook assigned meals as directed by head cook and managers.
- Prepare hors d’oeuvres and appetizers served at the cantina. This is a shared responsibility with other Cooks/Bakers.
- Assist kitchen staff to insure the cleanliness and orderliness of all kitchen and commissary areas.
- keep kitchen, walk-in, freezer and dry storage clean and orderly by wiping down equipment after use, putting left overs in containers and placing them in walk-in.
- leave kitchen neat for next shift.
- Attend staff and department meetings
Night Time Shut Down:
- Clean sinks, spraying with cleaner and wipe down
- Spray Clorox clean-up on faucets and wipe down
- Wipe down stove top and back splash.
- Clean grill or griddle after use.
- Sweep floor.
- General Cleaning of deep fat fryer, back wall and hood, trays in grill, ovens, racks
The above list is not all inclusive. The ranch managers may change the duties and responsibilities of this position from time to time.
- Standing, walking, lifting to 50 lbs., climbing, stooping, kneeling, seeing, crouching, crawling, reaching, speaking and hearing. Must be able to reach with arms extended above head for periods of time.
- The position requires excellent physical condition and stamina. Hours tend to be irregular and long. Extended periods of work without time off may be required.
Specific skills required:
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions
- High School Diploma or GED
Circle Z Ranch has long been regarded for fantastic meals, all served buffet style in our colorful dining room. You will be working in a modern and well stocked kitchen, with stainless steel prep areas, a commercial gas range and grill, a convection oven, a large dry storage area plus a walk in cooler and freezer. We give our cooks a free range to be creative with their menus so long as they meet our high standards of presentation and can appeal to a wide palate. We will provide guidance to our cooks during their first month so that our expectations are well communicated. We frequently have guests that have special diets and we strive to provide them with great alternatives to the main offerings. We have a large garden where we grow many of our greens.
We employ 4 cooks total: 3 to share the breakfast, lunch, dinner and all baking, plus a cook for our Friday Mexican Food Day. The head cook is responsible for all the menu planning, stocking and ordering and assists the Breakfast/lunch and Dinner cook with their preparations. This position requires a high level of teamwork, and although our state of the art kitchen is spacious, there are often 2 cooks working together at the same time.
Circle Z Ranch reserves the right to modify this job description at any time, without notice. The specific requirements, duties and skills set forth in this job description is intended to be all inclusive as of the date this document is prepared. However, this job description may not contain all the duties, physical requirements and skills that you may be asked to perform during the period you work at the ranch. Further, the job description is not a guarantee that you will perform any of these duties.